Sustainable OKC maintains an email listserv to facilitate the discussion of sustainability in Oklahoma City. The moderated list is open to anyone.
Listserv subscribers are encouraged to discuss current events, pass along information that might be of interest to others, ask questions, network, share ideas for projects, or post information about events. A list moderator reviews the messages before they are sent to the listserv.
Acceptable topics include urban development, smart design, local foods, sustainable agriculture, efficient production systems, urban beautification, livable cities, resilience, Transition or any other aspect of sustainability.
- Click here to subscribe for the SOKC listserv or to edit your preferences.
- Click here for discussion posts:
To send a message to all members on the discussion list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the SOKC listserv is thoughtful and engaging networking and sharing of information. Discussion and posts should be relevant to listserv purposes — an extension of SOKC’s mission: Sustainable OKC is a grassroots organization working at the crossroads of business, social justice and the environment. SOKC promotes community sustainability by facilitating local action, fostering awareness of sustainability, and serving as an informational and networking resource in the Oklahoma City area.
• The listserv is designed to encourage widespread interaction among a regional community made up of users with varying levels of expertise and knowledge.
• Views expressed by those posting on the listserv and those replying do not necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of the SOKC board and members.
How to post
Brand new subject
• Compose an email and meaningful subject line.
• In the “to” line, enter the listserv email address, email@example.com.
• Click “send.”
If replying to a post
• Click on “reply,” write your response, click “send.” If your intention is to reply directly to the original author, please change the email address.
• If you are replying to and building on a previous email, please note the new direction of the discussion in the subject line.
How to manage your subscription or unsubscribe:
• The SOKC listserv is user-friendly and gives members control over their subscription options, including changing to “daily digest” mode in order to reduce your incoming messages.
• To manage your subscription or unsubscribe, go to http://lists.sustainableokc.org/listinfo.cgi/okc-sustainableokc.org.
• In general, keep messages concise and to the point. Shorter posts are more likely to be read.
• When posting a lengthy message, break the post into paragraphs for easy reading.
Be mindful of quality and how often you post
• Be mindful of what you post and consider how it contributes the sustainability efforts.
• Found a cache of good articles? Please post them over a period of several days rather than all at once. Sending too many articles at once overwhelms people with information and can discourage reading of valuable information.
Value and relevance
• Post an article, commentary, or reply related to sustainability subjects.
• When responding, don’t add personal notes such as “me too,” “thank you,” etc. These types of responses should be sent off-list directly to the original person who sent the original email.
• Use the listserv to invite discussion rather than as a bully pulpit. Such posts may be rejected.
Use meaningful subject lines
• In starting a new discussion topic, use a meaningful subject line. Many people decide whether they want to read a listserv message based on the subject line.
• If a discussion thread has gone on for a series of several replies and responses, please delete all but the most recent response and your reply. Since all posts are archived, if someone wants to read an entire email thread, they can do so at the SOKC web site.
• If you need help, don’t write “Help me,” in the subject line. Instead indicate the specific type of problem for which you’re seeking assistance.
By signing up to receive SOKC listserv emails, you agree to the following guidelines:
• When posting articles, respect copyright.
• Posting the full text of a newspaper or magazine article is a violation of a publication’s copyright and/or the author’s and is not acceptable.
• It is acceptable to post brief “fair use” excerpts of such articles — usually a few paragraphs or highlights from the article — along with a link to the full article.
• Always be sure to credit the author and publication in your post and provide the URL (link to story) if available.
Take exchange of personal information off-list
When exchanging information that is not of interest to the entire group, such as making arrangements to meet another member, checking on status of projects you may be working on with another listserv member, or similar situations, please respond to the person off-list rather than posting the info to the entire group.
• If someone poses a query or asks for services or information and you sell a product you feel they might be interested in, please send your detailed reply privately to the original sender rather than post it to the listserv.
• Posting a brief mention of a product or service that is in direct response to a legitimate request from another participant is acceptable; just refer the person directly to the source for more information.
• We encourage civil, open, respectful discussion.
• Each participant is accountable for his or her own messages.
• Please take care in how you express your comments.
• Remember your intended tone of voice can easily be lost in written communication; if you want something to be understood in a certain way (humor, sarcasm, etc), it may help to provide an obvious indicator of tone to avoid misinterpretation.
• Do not belittle others in your posts. It discourages and intimidates members from participating, and diminishes the value of the listserv for all.
• No flames or personal attacks (flames are adversarial posts meant to defame, hurt, or rebuke in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory). Such posts will be rejected.
• Failure to grasp the sender’s tone is a common cause of angry replies, or “flames.”
• You agree not to post abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, libelous, defamatory, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented, or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.
• Avoid rants: writing in an angry or violent manner; to rave; to utter or express with violence or extravagance; i.e. a dictator who ranted his vitriol onto a captive audience.
• Avoid bullying: blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing, habitually badgering and intimidating, arrogant, and domineering, adversarial language.
• A firm no-SPAM policy is in effect and is strictly enforced by the moderators. Violators will be banned.
• You agree that the webmaster, administrator, and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move, or close any topic or post at any time should they see fit.
• As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, the webmaster, administrator, and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
• SOKC cannot verify the content of postings for accuracy. Parties submitting messages to the listserv bear sole responsibility and liability for the content of their postings. However, if a message violates any of the inappropriate submissions guidelines listed herein, then the offender’s post may be returned for editing or maybe rejected by the moderator. Consistent violations may result in cancellation of listserv privileges.